It’s pouring rain as I write this, appropriate for a little project I started last week. This little guy is a design by Lorna over at Sew Fresh Quilts. If you’re familiar with her work you know that she is so creative and has created quite the library of animal blocks … if an animal exists, I think she can figure out how to quilt it! When I saw this pattern I new it was one I had to try right away, and I’m super-pleased with how it turned out. (Note that I accidentally flipped my eye piece in this block, if one actually follows the instructions it will appear a little lower on the face.)
It came together so quickly, and the small pieces are fantastic for using up scraps, I am definitely going to make a full table runner out of this (the pattern includes instructions for both single blocks and a complete runner), should make a great Christmas present for someone!
This week I started a new band in my mini-medallion quilt. To make this braid I used these instructions on the Sew in Love blog, by Kelly of My Quilt Infatuation. I scaled the pieces down quite a bit, so that each diagonal strip is 1.5 inches unfinished, but even at that I am starting to wonder just how ‘mini’ this quilt will actually be in the end.
Today I’m linking up with Molli Sparkles and My Quilt Infatuation to share a bit of my stash. I got inspired this week by two separate mail deliveries that looked great together (serendipity!). The top fabric is Sunset Sugar Arrowheads in Acacia from Tula Pink. The one on the bottom is Echinacea in Sparkle by Anna Maria Horner.
Somehow these fabrics suggested to me that the time was right to try my hand at a medallion quilt. Possibly a mini medallion, but we’ll see.
Things went haywire with the pattern I was following for the centre block right off the bat, so I decided I would actually just feel my way through this, creating the block that I wanted first and then building on it, ring by ring. The centre block starts with a tiny hourglass, in homage to the Arrowheads print. The hourglass is enclosed in an Economy Block, which in turn is the centre of a star made of HSTs. There was a bit of improv math involved, but I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out!
Now, some of you eagle eyes may know that the Echinacea print I’ve used is actually a voile, while everything else here is a quilting cotton. As a newbie I’m not totally sure how much of a risk I was taking by mixing these, but I was extra careful while working with this lighter weight fabric and I think as a result, actually ended up with less-than-average (for me) wonkiness!