Just under the wire for Sew Mama Sew‘s #6WeeksofSofties challenge is this rabbit. I learned a lot by making this (as well as the cat from a few weeks ago) and by reading their series on all things softie-related. (Notably, don’t design things with such small pieces when you need to turn them inside out!) But it was still fun to make, with a mix of both machine and hand sewing, plus embroidery for the face.
I’m also linking up this week with Lily’s Quilts Small Blog Meet. It’s for blogs with fewer than fifty followers … so if this is you, join the linkup over on her blog and meet some new faces (-_-).
This is my first entry in Sew Mama Sew’s “Spectacular Softies” contest. The grand prize is this Pfaff Creative 3.0 sewing and embroidery machine … something I could really really use! (I should do a post some time about my much-loved-but-quirky vintage metal Singer. I bought it used for $65 and it is great in many ways but … one of its quirks is that it sometimes eats my fabric.) You can enter up to three times, so I’m hoping to get a couple more entries in before the deadline.
I had to abandon my first “shall-remain-headless” prototype half-way through because I realized the overall dimensions were just to small to be workable, but once I sized my pattern pieces up just a little everything went pretty smoothly (sewing machines issues aside! some of this is machine-sewn and some is by hand). I was going for a kind of classic-homemade rag doll look and I’m pretty please with how it turned out. The next one will have some accessories I think (^_^).
In the meantime, Sew Mama Sew is doing a Six Weeks of Love for Softies series, with advice on making softies, and features on some amazing designers for inspiration.
Today I’m linking up with Molli Sparkles and My Quilt Infatuation to share a bit of my stash. I got inspired this week by two separate mail deliveries that looked great together (serendipity!). The top fabric is Sunset Sugar Arrowheads in Acacia from Tula Pink. The one on the bottom is Echinacea in Sparkle by Anna Maria Horner.
Somehow these fabrics suggested to me that the time was right to try my hand at a medallion quilt. Possibly a mini medallion, but we’ll see.
Things went haywire with the pattern I was following for the centre block right off the bat, so I decided I would actually just feel my way through this, creating the block that I wanted first and then building on it, ring by ring. The centre block starts with a tiny hourglass, in homage to the Arrowheads print. The hourglass is enclosed in an Economy Block, which in turn is the centre of a star made of HSTs. There was a bit of improv math involved, but I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out!
Now, some of you eagle eyes may know that the Echinacea print I’ve used is actually a voile, while everything else here is a quilting cotton. As a newbie I’m not totally sure how much of a risk I was taking by mixing these, but I was extra careful while working with this lighter weight fabric and I think as a result, actually ended up with less-than-average (for me) wonkiness!