My alphabet quilt is finished! The version below is made with all Kona solids but I’m including some pictures in this post with different ideas for projects you can sew with these letters.
Before we get to that though, the pattern details!
- Beginner-friendly pattern using traditional patchwork. No paper piecing or templates. If you are comfortable with half-square triangles you can make this quilt.
- The pattern illustrates how to create a quilt block for each letter of the alphabet, as well as sizing, fabric requirements, and instructions to create a 50″ x 56″ throw quilt.
- Each letter measures 5″ by 8″.
- Pattern format: PDF download.
- Fabric requirements for the throw size:
- Ribbon letters: 1.5 yards of mixed fabrics
- Background: 3.25 yards
- Backing: 3.5 yards
- Binding 0.5 yards
Try the pattern for free first! Just click here to download the pattern for the letters ABC (you’ll also get a coupon for a discount on the pattern for the full alphabet).
Now, onto some other projects.
First – and I’d love to pretend this was intentional on my part – but did you know that the Ribbon Letter blocks just happen to be the perfect size for stockings? Look at these adorable stockings made by Kjerste (@rosebudandpenny), top, and Stephanie (@sssews28), bottom.
If you’ve downloaded the free ABC blocks, they make a great mini quilt for a nursery or baby shower gift:
The ribbon letter blocks were inspired by a pile of ribbons with all their different shades and shadows. I’m kind of obsessed with fonts so it was fun to try and work up an entire alphabet’s worth of quilt blocks using patchwork squares. And it’s a good pattern for beginners because the HST squares are generously sized, meaning there’s lots of wiggle room when it comes time to crop them.
Grab your free pattern
Get the ABC pattern free when you sign up for the Patch and Dot newsletter!
If you make a set of ribbon letter blocks I’d love to see them, so please leave a link in the comments, or tag on Instagram with #ribbonlettersquilt!
More ideas for your alphabet quilt blocks: